Tuesday, June 22, 2010

1988 Justice League International Postcards: Captain Atom


Art by Kevin Maguire and Joe Rubinstein

CAPTAIN ATOM
When a 1968 experiment to create protection against a nuclear blast went awry, Captain Nathaniel Adam was catapulted nearly 20 years into the future, where he arrived as an energy being! Now, though secretly working for the government, he is known to the world as the super-hero Captain Atom!

The Tiny Titan was Damian Maffei's daily devotional to the Atom, but he also threw the spotlight on other favorites of his, like Hawkman, Red Tornado and Animal Man. As one of only four members of his "Mates of The Atom" fan-helper roll call, I started this blog as a resurrection of Maffei's. I even went so far as to allow its very first post to be devoted to a Red Tornado Christmas story, even though I hate that character. Still, I figured to (and may still) give each of Damian's boys face time, but also intended to add a few of my own. While Damian's look at the Atom focused on Ray Palmer, Ryan Choi and Al Pratt, I've thrown in more distantly related characters like Damage. Aside from the name, I also always plotted to cover the completely unrelated Captain Atom. That likely won't materialize for a little while (at least until I complete the glacially paced Sword of the Atom summaries,) but here's a teaser. For more post cards, visit the index at DC Bloodlines.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Does anyone know the Heroclix #72 Captain Atom special ability on damage? OR, where I could find it? It's not on the heroclix.com website.
Thanks!