Thursday, September 1, 2016

2015 The Atom (Ray Palmer) Amazing Houston Comic Con Jam Sketch Detail by Atom Todd



It's been nearly a year since my last update to this blog in any capacity, and to be honest, I'm not sure when I'll get back to working here again. In the realm of podcasting, Aaron "Head" Moss has begin covering Sword of the Atom, while Jay "FKAjason" Jones, his son Vance, and Roy “Charlemagne” Cleary cover both the Silver Age and Post-Crisis Captain Atom via The Silver & Gold Podcast, plus the Nathanial Atom blogging on Splitting Atoms. There's no sense in my hoarding coverage of characters when others with greater love and time management skills are ready and able to fill the void of my inaction.

Speaking of which, here's a commission I got done last summer as part of a larger "friends of Martian Manhunter" multi-artist jam for The Idol-Head of Diabolu's celebration of that character's sixtieth anniversary. Normally, these scans are at most a two up from the original art, and in fact are usually reproduced smaller as jpegs than on the page. In this case, the original art would be measured in centimeters, so this is a massive inflation of the Ray Palmer image. Basically, it was near the end of the show, and another artist's drawing perfectly set up the Tiny Titan showing up standing on somebody's shoulder (or wherever.) I was looking for an artist that I thought could do the Mighty Mite justice and also happened to have a gap in their schedule to do a quick little Ray before I passed the jam off to the final artist of the show. I assure you, I did not intentionally select a guy billing himself as "Atom" Todd as some sort of pun, and only made the connection after the fact. I think he did a great job on a drawing that could fit four to a matchbook, and hopefully I can offer him a more substantial subject in the future...

Atom Todd

No comments: