Thursday, February 10, 2011

2009 Black Lantern Breach design by Joe Prado

Click To Enlarge


I believe at this point I own a complete set of Breach, and I think I managed this feat for less than ten bucks, with change enough for a hamburger (and not just a Jumbo Jack.) I haven't read a single issue yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about the book, and I've tended to enjoy Bob Harras' writing more often than not.

Breach was conceived as a relaunch of Captain Atom, until the company decided to go a different way and have Harras convert his ideas to serve a brand new character. I liked the Post-Crisis Captain Atom, but that version of the hero had been both flagrantly unfaithful to the Ditko original and seriously mangled by Armageddon 2001. If through some quantum field tap dancing Nathanial Adam became Breach, and Allan Adam came back from '60s Charlton as the all-classic Captain Atom, I think DC would be a better place (especially if no one ever mentioned Monarch again.) Instead, Breach was tossed into the pool of post-Zero Hour derivative/revamped trademarks that Geoff Johns assigned to "Earth-8" as duplicates of (often only slightly) more famous Earth-1 heroes. Breach could have been to Captain Atom as Power Girl is to Supergirl, but instead he was killed during Infinite Crisis. I had to wiki that fact, because Captain Atom gets breached all the time, but I guess a Breach breach meant the dude actually died. Good or not, I'm pretty sure Breach would have to have been better than Infinite Crisis, which was no Millennium, right?

UPDATE: I have been informed Breach was actually killed in Countdown: Arena. Holy f'n shnikies that's lame. I read fewer and fewer DC Comics and feel better and better about that fact.

2 comments:

PyroTwilight said...

Actually Breach was killed in Countdown Arena. When he was Breached in Infinite Crisis he was lost in reality or something then found by Monarch and absorbed/killed.

Diabolu Frank said...

Thanks for clearing that up. Holy f'n shnikies that's lame. I read fewer and fewer DC Comics and feel better and better about that fact.